September 28, 2020 | 20th Anniversary
Raising Readers has been promoting a love of books and reading for 20 years by giving high-quality books to Maine children. And we couldn’t have done it without the network of over 1,600 partners at every hospital, midwifery, and primary care office in Maine. Through this partnership, we’ve shared over 3 Million books with nearly 300,000 Maine kids at birth and at every well-child visit until turning 5 years old. Doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, and medical staff have made books and reading a part of growing up in Maine.
Fun facts about the unique partnership between Raising Readers and healthcare providers:
- Maine families read more to their children than those in any other state, according to the Annie E. Casey Kids Count Data Book
- It’s the largest health and literacy program ever undertaken by any state.
- All hospitals and midwiferies and all primary care offices that offer pediatric well-child visits participate in Raising Readers.
- We reach every child born in Maine and every child that receives well-child care in Maine.
- Doctors and nurse practitioners share books and early literacy guidance in every well-child visit in the first 5 years.
- We all support the important relationship between health and literacy.
Click the image below to see a full sized image of all the sites who make Raising Readers possible.