Search Our Books
Raising Readers, A Collection of Stories from Maine
Author: Maine Authors
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Year Distributed: 2005 - 2006
Availability: Past Books
The last book children will receive from the Raising Readers Program at age 5. Written and illustrated by Maine residents, it includes a detachable card certifying that this child was raised to be a reader and invites them to get their first library card. The titles in this anthology include The Big Meow by Elizabeth Spires and illustrated by Cynthia Jabar; That's What Friends Are For by Florence Parry Heide and Sylvia Van Clief, illustrated by Holly Meade; The Bugliest Bug by Carol Diggory Shield and illustrated by Scott Nash; Weslandia by Paul Fleischman and illustrated by Kevin Hawkes; Zachary's Ball written and illustrated by Matt Tavares.
Age Group 5 years
What’s Happening at this Age
- Matching each letter to the sound it represents
- Identifying the beginning, middle, and ending sounds in spoken words like dog or sit
- Saying new words by changing the beginning sound, like changing rat to sat
- Starting to match words they hear to words they see on the page
- Sounding out simple words
- Starting to recognize some words by sight without having to sound them out
- Asking and answering who, what, where, when, why, and how questions about a story
- Retelling a story in order, using words or pictures
- Predicting what happens next in a story
Your child likely will learn all the letters and their sounds this year. Some combinations of letters are still tricky for children to hear but they’re learning all the time. By making these connections, your child can also start to write and decode some easy words and begin reading short books to you. Their comprehension of what’s going on in the more complex stories you are reading to them will help them understand the simple stories they can read themselves. Continuing to read to your child, even when they’re able to read, will give you both a chance to talk about more complicated books and continue the beautiful relationship you started together 5 years ago. Reading together can still be the very best part of the day for you and your child!
Click here to see a full list of milestones for your 5-year-old as well as tips and activities for you and your child!
10 Ways to Explore The Bugliest Bug (one of the titles included in this anthology): Click to download our suggestions for simple (and fun!) activities for this favorite Raising Readers book.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.