Search Our Books
Caps for Sale
Author: Esphyr Slobodkina | Illustrator: Esphyr Slobodkina
Publisher: Harper Collins
Year Distributed: 2004
Availability: Past Books
Children will delight in following the peddler’s efforts to outwit the monkeys and will ask to read it again and again. 'Caps for Sale' is an excellent read-aloud that includes repetition, patterns, and colors--a true classic!
Age Group 5 years
What’s Happening at this Age
- Matching each letter to the sound it represents
- Identifying the beginning, middle, and ending sounds in spoken words like dog or sit
- Saying new words by changing the beginning sound, like changing rat to sat
- Starting to match words they hear to words they see on the page
- Sounding out simple words
- Starting to recognize some words by sight without having to sound them out
- Asking and answering who, what, where, when, why, and how questions about a story
- Retelling a story in order, using words or pictures
- Predicting what happens next in a story
Your child likely will learn all the letters and their sounds this year. Some combinations of letters are still tricky for children to hear but they’re learning all the time. By making these connections, your child can also start to write and decode some easy words and begin reading short books to you. Their comprehension of what’s going on in the more complex stories you are reading to them will help them understand the simple stories they can read themselves. Continuing to read to your child, even when they’re able to read, will give you both a chance to talk about more complicated books and continue the beautiful relationship you started together 5 years ago. Reading together can still be the very best part of the day for you and your child!
Click here to see a full list of milestones for your 5-year-old as well as tips and activities for you and your child!
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.