What is the Read to ME Challenge?
The Read to ME Challenge is an opportunity to contribute to a child’s literacy growth by reading aloud to one or more children for at least 15 minutes. The steps for taking the challenge are listed below. You can also read about how the challenge is spreading across Maine by visiting the Read to ME Challenge articles.
How to Participate:
- Read to and/or have a child/children read to you for at least 15 minutes.
- Read an engaging book, chapter of a novel, newspaper or magazine article, comics, nursery rhymes or poetry.
- Capture a photograph or short video (15-30 seconds) of yourself reading to the child.
- Use #ReadtoME or #ReadaloudME to post the photo or video on social media. Challenge others to read aloud 15 minutes to a child or children they know.
- Recommended social media platforms include: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Youtube.
- If you live a distance from a child you’d like to read to, use Zoom or Facetime to read aloud via digital means.
- If you are unable to complete the challenge you may want to consider:
- Donating a book to a school or public library, a food cupboard, a homeless shelter or a little free library near where you live.
- Singing to or having a conversation with a child (these methods build language, too).
- Visiting the Read Across America site for additional resources and ideas.