7 Tips for Reading with your Children
Did you know that babies are born able to process language? Reading, talking and singing with them from the day they’re born helps to build their understanding of the language they’ll come to use themselves. Reading in particular helps them understand how written words work and helps them to build their language and literacy skills throughout their lives. And an added bonus: reading aloud to a little one helps build a bond like no other!
Here are 7 reading tips for parents and caregivers to make the most of read-aloud time and books.
- Use the pictures in the books to make up your own story!
- Keep books where children can reach them – in a basket on the floor or on a low bookshelf.
- Read a book out loud with your child at bedtime.
- Talk about what’s happening in the story with your child.
- Act out what’s happening in the story.
- Use different voices for each character in the story.
- Visit the library with your child for a story hour. Pick out more books to read together while you’re there.
For a free download of these reading tips in different languages, click one of the links below.
For more reading tips, check out these great resources!
Don't miss a post!