2016 Raising Readers Annual Report
Dear Friend of Raising Readers:
On behalf of Raising Readers, I’m excited to share with you the 2016 Raising Readers Annual Report. With help from 1,200 healthcare providers at 359 participating sites, the program delivered 163,000 high-quality, developmentally appropriate books to 71,000 Maine babies and children.
Last year was filled with work and milestones in addition to getting books into the homes and hands of Maine families. In 2017, Raising Readers staff:
- Traveled thousands of miles to meet with coordinators at participating hospitals, midwives, and doctors’ offices,
- Launched a new book management and ordering system to make sure books get to where they need to go,
- Completely redesigned the program website to better meet the needs of parents and medical providers,
- Nurtured over 65,000 followers on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, and
- Published a study showcasing the program’s impact on Maine children, families, and medical providers.
No matter the year, our staff works hard to ensure all babies and children in Maine receive a library of books to call their very own. We couldn’t do it without the generous funding from the Libra Foundation. Please join us in saluting the foundation’s continued generosity.
I’d also like to thank you – parents, grandparents, early literacy advocates, librarians, publishing partners, early childhood educators, healthcare providers, literacy organizations, and community volunteers — for your continued dedication to Raising Readers. By supporting and promoting early literacy in Maine communities, you contribute to the program’s success – and in making Maine communities happier and healthier.
Cassandra Cote Grantham, MA
Program Director, Raising Readers
A blog post about the boy on the cover of this year’s Annual Report
Stay in touch with us!
Enter your email to join our email list! You'll receive our quarterly newsletter, with the latest resources from Raising Readers, updates on our books and authors, and other information!