raising readers books help promote early literacy skills and many of the children in your care are probably familiar with the same titles. Why not try to build upon this by developing an early literacy activity for the children to do together?
For example: many four year-olds have the book Turtle Splash by Maine author Catherine Falwell.
Locate a copy of Turtle Splash and ask the children the following questions:
- How many turtles are on each page?
- What number is on this page?
- What other animals do you see?
- What do you think turtles eat?
- What kind of creatures would you find at a pond?
- What sounds do the creatures make?
These simple questions have just addressed the early literacy skill sets of : print motivation, phonological awareness, and narrative skills!
We have developed a simple curriculum guide for teachers with some great activities which correlate with some of the current and past titles that raising readers has distributed: